A Beginner’s Guide to kitchen cabinet painting tips
Looking for an easy way to update your kitchen while on a tight budget? With our kitchen cupboard painting tips, you can refresh the look of your kitchen without spending a fortune.
Here’s how to go about this affordable and easy home improvement project:
1. First, remove all handles and hinges. Label them for easier reassembly. Use scratch papers or old newspapers and masking tape to protect areas that must not be painted.
2. Next, thoroughly clean your cupboards with soap, detergent, or the appropriate cleaning solution depending on the material they’re made of.
Kitchen Cabinet Painting Tips
3. Once dry, lightly sand the surfaces. If there are any dents in the surfaces, fill them using epoxy putty. Next, resand them. Using a damp cloth, wipe away any debris.
4. For the paint to properly adhere to the cupboards, use a primer. Put on disposable gloves and mix the primer in a circular motion using a paint stirring stick. Pour the primer into a paint tray and then start applying the primer, one surface at a time. Use a foam roller to apply the primer at the edges, doors, and outer faces of the cupboards. For better adhesion, apply the primer in a zigzag motion.
5. Allow the primer to completely dry for four hours. Meanwhile, wash the foam roller in water and let it dry.
6. Once the primer is dry, lightly resand all the cupboards. To remove any traces of dust, use a dry cloth to wipe the surfaces.
More Kitchen Cabinet Painting Tips on Cupboard painting
7. Apply two or three coats of your chosen paint. For practicality, go with acrylic paint with a semi-gloss or satin finish. It’s best to go with high-quality paints such as Benjamin Moore since these can last for years, saving you time and money in repainting.
As for your kitchen cabinet’s colours, consider their effects on the existing lighting and size of your kitchen. They must brighten the space and make it appear larger. You can also mix and match colours that look good together.
8. After the first coat is completely dry, lightly sand the surfaces again to ensure a sleek finish. Use a damp cloth to remove any dust. If your cupboards are glass-fronted, you can also paint their interiors for a pop of colour.
Finally our last Kitchen Cabinet Painting Tips
9. Allow the surfaces to dry for at least eight hours. If the laminate paint was used, let it dry for at least one week. Then, apply the second coat. Repeat the process if you want to apply a third coat.
10. When the last coat is completely dry, remove the covers, reassemble the handles and hinges, and admire your newly painted cupboards. If you want a more drastic change, you can either repaint or replace your old kitchen hardware and fixtures.
Your kitchen is one area of your home that you frequent; therefore it deserves utmost attention from time to time. Taking on a simple DIY project such as kitchen cupboard painting is a great way to give your space a refreshing facelift.
Address: 3778 Corliss Crescent, Mississauga, ON L4T
Phone: (416) 568-3547
Email: [email protected]
Mississauga Handyman has been selected as one of our Most Popular Home Improvement Specialists!
Awards received for 2017:
Most Popular Home Improvement Specialists in 2017
#2 Most Popular Home Improvement Specialist in Mississauga
#3 Most Popular Home Improvement Specialist in Peel
Find out more about our Most Popular Awards.